Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The People I Meet

I met a few new people recently. About a week and a half ago, I met a Pakistani man who was working in his kiosk. Right as I was making my purchase, he asked, "You from Poland?" I thought I misheard, so I said to him, "What?" He asked again, "Are you from Poland?" in his not so great Pakistani-Danish accent. I think I chuckled or something, but said no unfortunately. That was a strange encounter because that is the first time I have ever been mistaken for a real Pol! Should I be honored? upset? confused? Haha. I don't know. All I know is I'll be in Poland two weeks from today and I'll see firsthand what it's like.

Also, I met another guy working at yet another kiosk (these are everywhere in my neighborhood). I asked him where he was from he said Trinidad and Tobago. Whoa! He added that he was born in Denmark and lived here all his life. He works at this store 6 days a week from 12-10PM. Wow! I couldn't imagine those days and those hours. He said he really likes it and he is paid well, so that is good. And apparently he doesn't get bored sitting behind a counter, waiting for people to come buy his products. I think it's great he has the job, he likes it, and he is paid well, but it's not for me.

These are just two people I've met here. Meeting new people is one of the things I like best about being here. Iraqis, Pakistanis, Somalis, Turks, Danes, Filipinos etc. etc. So many different stories to hear. So many lives come together in Copenhagen. This is quite an international city for sure.

The rest of this week is midterms/papers then I leave Sunday for the Luxembourg/Brussels trip. Should be great.

-TAD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.