Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's all politics

I had a fantastic one-hour coffee meeting with the vice-chair of the club with which I volunteer (KIK). The club is on the third floor of a building near Norrebro where I live. It is a place for Somali children to go and study and receive tutoring help.

Anyways, Artan and I enjoyed a great conversation. I believe it was my first real conversation with a practicing Muslim. We talked about everything: Islam, the war, Palestine, Israel, politics, Danish politics, welfare, politics of religion, and everything else. My view of Islam has always been an outsider's view, but now that I have been exposed to Muslims and I can interact with them, my outlook is better. He potrayed a peaceful, cooperate, civic-minded Muslim, contrary to most of what I see on television. Granted, one meeting with a moderate Muslim does not mean I am an expert on the religion, but I left Artan feeling good about myself and the hundred of Muslims I live amongst in Copenhagen.

Artan's view of religion is straightforward. He believes Islam is the truth and the way for world peace. The way to spread Islam is through peaceful teaching and preaching, and convincing others to follow. For Artan, it's all politics. It's about who gets to lead in society, or who's idea of religion wins out. For him, he wants Islam to win. It's a fascinating look at the role of religion in society. He rejects all violence to spread the faith, but instead wants thoughtful preaching and reflecting, and whoever chooses to follow can follow. He believes Muslims can live side by side with Jews and Christians because although they have different faiths, they are all humans. His outlook is positive. While he wants worldwide sharia (Islamic law) he is not willing to kill to achieve it. Religion is about politics and who is more convincing.

1 comment:

jhynes said...

Hi Tage, Your Mom gave me your blog. What a wonderful experience!!! I taught kids from Somalia. If they can read try to add to their vocabulary. They really need constant vocabulary
building. I really enjoyed reading your blog!!!

Love, Mrs. Hynes