Monday, August 27, 2007

A little of this, a little of Danish

Monday, Monday, so good to me...Yes it was fun here. It rained for a little bit, but it was a soft, steady rain with no significant downpour. Weather here looks to be in the 60s for the time being; it's manageable.

The Danish language is tough. What you see on paper or on a sign is nowhere near the pronunciation. It can be quite absurd at times. I learned that my name is also Danish and the "g" is silent, so it's pronounced "Tae" while dragging out the "e" for a bit. Think: Tay. It's weird to get used to that. My Danish language teacher refused to call me by my name, saying "I can't do that." The Danish way sounds good to me. Haha.

She took us on a tour of the area which was nice. Downtown Copenhagen is neat. There are lots of restaurants, shops (on the main pedestrian street Stroget, there are a ton), pubs, and fruit stands which is awesome. Everyone whom I asked for directions was friendly. My limited experience with Danes is pleasant. I also bought some clothes today, finally!, so now I am good for a few days. I am still optimistic about my luggage showing up; in fact, tomorrow would be wonderful. If not, I guess it's back to the stores for more shirts. Ah!

I finally saw Chad today at the opening ceremony. It is great to see a familiar face. His homestay sounds nice, with great parents and a little boy with which to become acquainted. My dinner may become a staple for me. Since I spent a lot of money today, I thought I should go cheap and I did. Calzone and a coke from 7-11. Dkk30.75, which is about $6. Unorthodox, yes? But will it work? Of course. It's still strange to see soo many 7-11's in Copenhagen. I have seen at least six already. It works for me!

Tuesday is a bus tour around the city and some sessions on "coping with Copenhagen." They should be alright. Each day is blessed and I'm happy to be here.

-TAD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tage! It sounds like a challenge already, haha, I hope you have received your luggage by now and also that you are learning some words in Danish (right?) I am in Barcelona now and have my luggage (luckily) and don´t know when but hopefully will be able to email soon. Ciao!
Elaina